Xero Sync Error: The Account Number already exists. Please enter a different Account Number.
Why the Sync Error occurs
This error occurs when:
- Chart of Account: the account number on a new Chart of Account cannot sync to Xero because the account number is already in use in Xero
- Vendor/Customer account number: the account number on a vendor or customer already exists on a contact in Xero
How to Fix the Sync Error
- If this is not a duplicate account, edit the account number to one that is not already in use within Xero then sync again
- If this is a duplicate account, delete the account or contact Customer Support to help with merging the two accounts
For contacts (customers or vendors):
If the error is on a contact that has not synced to Xero yet:
- Remove the account number from the vendor/customer record
- Sync to create the contact in Xero
- Add the account number back to the vendor/customer
If the error re-appears, contact Customer Support to clear the error.
If the error is an update on a contact that has already synced to Xero in the past, contact Customer Support to clear the error.