QuickBooks Online Sync Error: Business Validation Error: You must select a client for each split line that is billable
Why the Sync Error occurs
This error occurs when the billable box in the customer/job field on a bill is selected and the field is not needed. This typically occurs when bills sync to PayMaker from Tallie and the billable box was checked in Tallie in error.
How to Fix the Sync Error
First, check PayMaker to see if Customers/Jobs are enabled for Payables. If not, follow these steps to enable:
- Click Settings
- Under Accounting, click Preferences
- Look for settings: Use Customers/Jobs in Payables
- If set to NO, click the edit icon and set to YES
- Click Save
- Once enabled, go to the bill and click the edit icon on the bill
- Click the Customer: Job field on each line of the bill and confirm if the Billable field is checked
- If yes, uncheck the billable box on each applicable line item
- Save the bill
- Sync again
If the billable box does not appear, it is because there are no Customers listed in PayMaker. Add a customer in PayMaker by following the steps below, and then edit the bill to enable the billable box to appear:
- Click Customers in the left navigation menu
- Click Add customer
- Enter the required fields
- Click Save
If customers/jobs are not needed in Payables, go to the Accounting Preferences and disable that setting. If the billable field is not checked, login to Tallie and confirm if the account being used is selected as billable, or if the expense line item is marked as billable. If so, remove that setting.
Things to know
To prevent this error, be sure to make sure that expenses are marked as not billable in Tallie.