QuickBooks for Windows Sync Error: The account number is already in use
Why the Sync Error occurs
When saving an accounts list, an error indicates that the account number is in use. This error is caused by a duplicate account in PayMaker and Quickbooks.
How to Fix the Sync Error
Merge the duplicate accounts. When merging, keep the record that contains the integration ID.
- Click Settings
- Under Accounting, click Chart of Accounts
- Click Merge Duplicates
- Marl the checkboxes for the two accounts that need to be merged Note: Only two duplicates can be merged at a time. Multiple records require multiple merges.
- After selecting the accounts, a comparison table is displayed with the record information to choose which data from each account to retain
- Click merge to merge all payment information into one account, preserving the selected information
- After completing the merge, run the sync
Things to know
If there is no duplicate account, follow these alternate steps to fix the issue in QuickBooks:
- In QuickBooks, add an asterisk to the account name
- Initiate a sync to pull the account into PayMaker
- Merge the duplicate accounts in PayMaker (following the instructions above) and keep the record that synced from QuickBooks with the asterisk in the account name
- After syncing completes successfully, remove asterisk from the account name